The primary mission of the Marine Resources Library is to support:
- The curricular and research needs of the faculty and students in the College of Charleston’s graduate and undergraduate programs in marine biology.
- The research needs of the scientists in the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources Marine Resources Division.
- The research needs of the scientists at the NOAA/NOS/NCCOS/Coastal Center for Environmental Health and Biomolecular Research as well as those at the NOAA/NOS/NCCOS Hollings Marine Laboratory.
- Members of the public with access to print resources housed in the collection and with research assistance.
The staff of the Marine Resources Library strives to ensure that the library excels in its:
We accomplish our mission by working towards strategic goals:
- Provide access to a relevant suite of quality print and electronic marine science research materials at the research and professional levels of scholarship.
- Train students, faculty, and researchers to competently discover, access, and ethically use the scholarship that supports their research objectives.
- Support research activity with a suite of synchronous and asynchronous library services including:
- Reference and research assistance
- Library instruction and subject guides
- Timely provision of library materials from other libraries
- Timely sharing of library materials to other libraries
- Offer a comfortable and functional study space with technology to promote and facilitate collaboration and information sharing.
- Engage stakeholders including by participating in events and field work and seeking new forms of collaboration.