A collaborative enterprise of the College of Charleston, the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources Marine Resources Division, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the mission of the Marine Resources Library is to support the curricular and research needs of the faculty and students in the College of Charleston’s graduate and undergraduate programs in marine biology, and the work of professional researchers of the partner agencies.
The Marine Resources Library is the physical and virtual hub for the acquisition and sharing of information and the development of research and information literacy skills at the South Carolina Marine Resources Center.
- Committed to identifying and meeting the research needs of students and professional researchers
- Relevant in form and function for today’s students and professional researchers
- Timely in provision of resources and services
We strive to:
- Provide access to a relevant suite of quality print and electronic marine science research materials at the research and professional levels of scholarship.
- Train students, faculty, and researchers to competently discover, access, and ethically use the scholarship that supports their research objectives.
- Support research activity with a suite of synchronous and asynchronous library services including:
- Reference and research assistance
- Library instruction and subject guides
- Timely provision of library materials from other libraries
- Timely sharing of library materials to other libraries
- Offer a comfortable and functional study space with technology to promote and facilitate collaboration and information sharing.
- Engage stakeholders including by participating in events and field work and seeking new forms of collaboration.
- Promote and deliver a suite of elective training opportunities to support students and professional researchers in their research and scholarship
- Evaluate the information literacy of incoming marine biology graduate students and provide responsive targeted information literacy training
- Improve the relevance and accessibility of the library collection through acquisition, de-acquisition, promotion of new material, and the strategic transition to online forms of gray literature