Submitting ILL Requests
Users from Grice, SCDNR/MRD, NOAA NOS CCEHBR Charleston Laboratory/Hollings Marine Laboratory, and NIST Charleston may submit Interlibrary Loan requests online through their ILLiad account. Please fill out requests as completely as possible, giving the source of your citation for the requested item if you can. The librarian may limit users to ten requests at a time if necessary. Be sure to check to ensure that the MRL and Addlestone Library do not own or provide access to the item:
Check the Library Catalog >>> Check PASCALcat (books only) >>> Submit an ILL request
Interlibrary Loan generally takes anywhere from two days to a month. Materials that are available locally may be obtained in a few days. If you need materials by a certain date, specify this on your request form, and we will make every effort to meet your needs. Please plan ahead and place your requests early. Not all materials are available for Interlibrary Loan; availability of material is at the discretion of the lending library.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) services are available through MRL to:
- College of Charleston (CofC) faculty, staff, and graduate students at Grice Marine Lab (all other CofC users should work with ILL at Addlestone Library)
- Employees of SCDNR MRD
- Employees of NOAA NOS CCEHBR Charleston Laboratory/Hollings Marine Laboratory/NIST Charleston
Title 17 of the United States Code places the responsibility of abiding by copyright law upon the library and upon the user of copyrighted works. Therefore, please pay careful attention to our ILL Policies.
Your ILLiad Account
ILL requests are made online using an ILLiad web account. This free personal account is independent from MyCharleston and your Library Account. If you are using ILL for the first time, you will need to set up your ILLiad account.
- Create your ILLiad account using your MyCharleston credentials (CofC users)
- Create your ILLiad account as an SCDNR, NOAA NOS CCEHBR Charleston Laboratory, NOAA NOS Hollings Marine Laboratory, or NIST Charleston affiliate
- Log into your existing ILLiad account to submit a new request, check on the status of a request, or apply for renewals
- Restore a forgotten password by contacting us to reset it
Picking up, Returning, and Renewing ILL Materials
Be sure to include your email address so that we can contact you when your material arrives. You will receive many of the journal articles through electronic delivery. You may pick up print materials at any time from the ILL Pickup Shelf located in the Marine Resources Library. Photocopies are yours to keep. Loaned materials must be returned to the MRL circulation desk by the due date given on the book sleeve.
Should you need to use loaned materials beyond the due date given of the book sleeve, you must contact the MRL staff prior to the due date to request a renewal. Renewal is at the discretion of the lending library. The staff will notify you with the new due date once the request is granted or denied. Please do not wait until the due date to request a renewal.